Wednesday, September 16, 2009

100 stitches - blanket stitch and feather stitch

I have two new stitches to show. Both of these stitches are from the "looped stitches" section of the embroidery book I am working my way through. This first one is the blanket stitch (stitch #23). 



This is a very easy stitch to learn but to for a good looking result, it does require a certain consistency with spacing!  



My first step was to draw two parallel lines with a ruler and a water soluble marking pen.
  


This stitch is worked from left to right so first come up through the fabric on the left edge of the bottom line:


Pull the thread all the way through and bring the needle around to the top line.  A little to the right of where your thread first emerged:


Go into the fabric on the top line and come back up through the fabric on the bottom line:


Pull all the way through making sure your needle is passing over the top of the working thread:


Keep pulling:


all the way through:

 Now, just as when you started, bring the needle around to the top line:


and go into the fabric on the top line and come out of the fabric on the bottom line with your needle sliding over the top of the working thread:


Pull all the way through:


Just continue stitching this same way all along the stitching lines:


To finish this stitch, I just went back into the fabric at the base of my last stitch:


and then secured my floss on the underside:


Then I washed out my marker lines:


This is a beautiful stitch, I think it makes a nice edging stitch.  
The floss I used for this is DMC perle cotton color variations number 3840.

The next stitch is the feather stitch (stitch #28). This is such a beautiful stitch and really easy to do. I can't wait to incorporate this stitch into some of my projects.


No comments: