Tuesday, June 14, 2011

100 Stitches - Roumanian Couching Stitch

Time for another 100 Stitches! I have just learned how to do the Roumanian Couching Stitch. According to 100 Stitches, this stitch is useful for filling in large areas. For my demonstration, I am going to use it to stitch this heart from the Be Mine Valentine embroidery pattern:and here it is: Isn't this a beautiful stitch?! I think it did a very nice filling job! Another plus, this was an easy stitch for me to learn. To show my progress, I am starting at an area of the heart that will take a full line of stitching...this will be easier to see than a little short line like you would have at the edge of the heart. So the first instruction was to come up through the fabric at the left or top of the shapeBring the floss all the way across the shape and take a small stitch on the right or the bottom of the shape. Make sure the working floss is to the right of the needle here: Pull the floss all the way through: Now cross over the floss line and take a small stitch under the floss line: Pull all the way through: again, cross over the floss line and take another small stitch under the floss line:pull all the way through:again, cross over the floss line and take another small stitch:pull all the way through and you are right in the perfect spot to start the whole process over again: You just fill in the whole shape with these lines of stitching!This stitch is #68 and is in the Couching and Filling Stitches section of 100 Stitches.

9 comments:

Farah said...

Very beautiful Kim and how neatly you filled the hear... its beautiful... I used this stitch only as a practice and never be so neat... it looks real pretty
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Julia said...

Thanks for teaching us this stitch. I love it. It is great to know a new stitch for filling larger spaces.

Lisa said...

Oh wow, this is a great stitch, and looks pretty straight forward. I'm going to have to give this a shot soon. Thanks Kim!

donna!ee said...

i'm a big big fan of filling in embroidery outlines (either with stitches OR coloring in with crayons) SO thank you much for this, it's wonderful!!! :)

Kim said...

Thank you Farah - I am sure yours was very neat!
Thanks Julia - I am really enjoying using this filling stitch and it doesn't take as long as I though it would!
Hi Lisa - I think you will really like this stitch.
Hi donna!ee - Thanks - I am going to have to try the coloring too - it looks so pretty.

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful stitch isn't it? I have done this and I think I did a heart too. There are quite a few filling stitches and the ones I've tried, I've really enjoyed - it feels like you are able to go with the flow, like painting with the threads really.

One of the things I am interested in knowing though, is about how to use detail with it; say you are embroidering an animal and you want to mark the eye or have a line of back stitch to show definition of a leg how do you do it? Do you do that first and fill in around it, or do you try and stitch over the top? - in which case you can't see the design to follow anymore.
Sara

Kim said...

Sara - It is a beautiful stitch :) and fun to do. As for which to do first, the fill or the definition, I would think that you would do the outlining and definition lines first and then fill stitch in the blank areas.

Mihaela said...

Thank you Kim so much! I'm Roumanian but didn't know how this stitch was made when admiring our folk costumes displaying it!

Kim said...

Hi Mihaela :) Thank you! It is a beautiful stitch - I love folk art and costumes too